Monday, July 18, 2011

Mis Dibujos Ecuatorianos Part 3

The Seasons 2011 gouache, water color, indian ink

Undergrowth 2011 gouache, water color, indian ink

I almost completely left out these two drawings from a series I worked on while traveling around Ecuador last month. You can find the rest of them in older blog posts here and here. Also, you can find them on my website with other similar drawings from this year.

I've been working on a drawing technique that caters more towards instinctive mark-making rather than a conscious effort to unfold a specific visual narrative. The narrative here is really all about time and place. Was I indoors or outdoors, was it light or dark outside, and what mood was I in? I don't start with an idea, but I certainly end up with a few that branch out into the next drawings like some sort of domino effect (which is why I always end up with two or three completed drawings at about the same time). It's a great practice as it pushes me outside a comfort zone and loosens whatever inhibitions I had to begin with. In the end, I get drawings that are far more telling, and richer in narrative than what one would expect. Little tiny pieces of a gigantic puzzle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails