Thursday, March 3, 2011

Victory, For Now

In my previous post, I briefly wrote about my frustrations with a series of abstract compositions that I couldn't decide whether I liked or not; or where it was going. But I refused to give up. Like the Energizer Bunny, I kept going and going and going.....Turns out the hours spent in the studio finally paid of. The image above is one of the four pieces I completed, which has taken me down an unprecedented path in my painting.

There was no magic trick or short cut. It just literally took time and attention. I eventually overcame the crippling effect the original compositions had on me, and was able to navigate my way through them. Why be fearful of your own creation? Well, it mostly had to do with a big fat question mark of where to go from there. Sometimes, I edit myself to the point where moving forward seems like the option for doom. Move forward and you'll wreck whatever you started. This is a common trap for me, which leaves many of my pieces prematurely born. No good, if your intention is to push boundaries and most importantly, experiment. This is not a competition for "prettiest piece"--it's no beauty pageant. This is a quest to disarm oneself in such a way that new ideas are born out of unabated creative hunger.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails