Monday, March 21, 2011

Isolation Factory


I've been preoccupied with some of my side gigs lately; most recently, a job helping create some rough sketches for a local shoe designer. I've also been working on a series of illustrations that I will make available as digital prints from my online etsy store, as soon as I feel I have enough of them. So basically, I've been working on the down low, trying to get stuff together before showing them off.

I've gotten into a groove with my work schedule in the studio; and I must say, so much of it requires a penchant for solitude--which I have, thankfully. Otherwise, it might just drive you crazy: the isolation. I get a nod and a smile every now and again when a fellow artist walks past my space (I have an open studio layout). Sometimes we'll chat. Most times we don't. But I like it this way because my work space must be true to the work. I lack the walls, therefore I must somehow imagine them and have others do the same. This is the tacit agreement artists make with one another when it comes to an open floor plan. So far, I haven't encountered any problems with pesky neighbors or rude and demanding colleagues. My studio has become an open space factory and I'm so far pleased with the work I'm churning out. Isolation has not failed me yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails