Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Unearthed Draw-A-Thon Sketches





Armed with a bottle of red wine, I decided to re-organize my plastic Office Max storage unit filled with sketches, drawings, research and various other artsy bits and bobs. I came across these sketches which I had completely forgotten about. They are sketches from my favorite figure drawing sessions in the Lower East Side, back when I was living in New York City (2007-09). I loved these sessions because they had incredibly diverse models--some partially dressed in theatrical costumes, others fully nude--and always had three or more sessions simultaneously taking place: you had the 30 min poses, the 5 min, 2 min then 1 minute poses. In under an hour I would have a sketchbook filled with incredibly diverse lines, angles and compositions, using all types of material from the traditional charcoal and graphite, to pens and inks.

The artist who runs the place, Michael Alan, always had great ideas for these "Draw-A-Thons", as he calls them. These sessions have been described as
"a figure drawing and performance art marathon that offers an alternative to conventional figure drawing by adding narrative, theatrical, and musical components in a public space where artists create and form community."

If you are in New York and would like to check them out, either go to Michael's website or email him at artisticrevolution@gmail.com about upcoming sessions (the location may have moved to DUMBO). I highly recommend them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails