Tuesday, November 16, 2010

There's More To It Than Just Turkey

Image taken from this website

Thanksgiving is just around the corner. Truth is, I've not really cared much for this American holiday until, of course, moving to the US, and making some seriously close friends on American soil--whose curious traditions I deeply respect and find myself taking part in an incredibly intimate fashion. I am, after all, an American; and so is my partner for life. Everyone seems to have their own unique family way of celebrating Thanksgiving (there is no "proper way")--but what it really boils down to is this: the triple "F": family, friends and food. Lots of each one! (well, always more of the latter). The history, on the other hand, I'm a little fuzzy on--but so are most Americans. And I think this is mostly to do with the fact that there is no official truth to how this tradition began (even though Americans are taught in school that the first feast was with the pilgrims and indians in 1621). But then again, I could be wrong.

My friends are my family. And this year, even though it still won't be a complete set (most of my closest and dearest are an ocean or two away), I will have a dear friend (someone who has known me for years and been a bosom bud since my London days) join me and my new friends here in San Francisco, in a Thanksgiving that even I have not yet experienced--a Thanksgiving for the "stranded ones", as our friend who is hosting it calls it every year she's had this gathering in her home.

Everyone has been asked to bring something that they traditionally have for Thanksgiving. For some, it's baked mac n' cheese; others, it's pumpkin pie; or, get this, baked pineapple that's been marinated in rum. So it turns out, contrary to what I have always thought, there's more to Thanksgiving than the damned turkey. What to bring, I have no idea, since I don't usually celebrate "Turkey Day". I am however, and as I've already mentioned, bringing a Brit (my friend from London who currently resides in New York). I'm hoping that will be enough. Oh, and booze. LOTS of booze.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails