Monday, August 2, 2010

Off I Go

I'm turning 28 tomorrow, and instead of the usual birthday debauchery one would expect from a lass who's about to leave the dodgy confines of the "early-late-twenties" category (an unofficial category conceived by friends who refuse to let go of their twenties) into a world less sure of itself, I decided to go on a lactic acid bender rather than my usual pints of pilsner. Out goes the booze, in comes the pain and surprising (but delightful) realization that I feel fitter today than I did the day I turned 21. I am so confident of this that I decided to go on a 500 km bike tour down the coast with a good friend (who happens to be 21). Uh-oh. I better keep up with the pace!

So here is the grand plan: We're leaving tonight (in approximately 10 minutes) to drive down to Santa Cruz with our bikes--thus avoiding the harrowing hills of death between San Francisco and Half Moon Bay on Highway 1. We will begin our bike journey tomorrow early in the morn from Santa Cruz all the way down to L.A. hoping to make it in a few days and relishing in the glory of it all on Venice Beach. There are hiker/biker campsites along the way where we plan to hitch our tent and sleep under the starry night sky of southern California while dreaming of warm showers and hot meals.

I have never gone on a long-distance bike excursion before and I am thrilled to be doing it now. Aging is a constant reminder of our mortality; but new adventure and accomplishments never lets us forget the thrill of living.

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails