Thursday, July 29, 2010

Sitting on My Art


I am in a ridiculous funk with my art, as if my studio has put a voodoo spell on me not to enter its doors. Yes, I've been incredibly busy lately, with all sorts of projects underway that are not necessarily art-related. But "busy" doesn't usually prevent me from painting a little, or at least stepping into my studio to have a cup of tea while staring helplessly at unfinished pieces of work.

Granted, I am brainstorming like the plague. This will soon be unleashed I know; because there is only so much "planning" one can do (especially with regard to my own process) before having to make the necessary mistakes that deplore direction and invite new ways of seeing and thinking about landscape and its intended impact. I rarely ever blue print my work, but this is exactly "what's new" with me. I am moving from my traditional approach of direct canvas attack, divide and conquer; and towards a more conscious mental mapping approach. I am inclined to use literary symbolism and cultural metaphors to obtain a specific desired effect--and this can be very difficult when the bottom line is that all conceived and perceived work is subjective, from the artist and viewer respectively. This may not be the case however, if certain imagery is used--icons and avatars that unequivocally represent something specific. This is what the art of branding does; it creates a language that is collectively shared. Pop Art has been able to apply these languages in very compelling ways.

My brainstorming sessions need to transform themselves into real attempts at reifying these ideas on canvas. Or else, I'll soon be called-out on my cop-outs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails