Saturday, July 10, 2010

London, My Friend

A shot taken by my brother while he was out on a run in London

London has an odd, yet cherished place in my heart. I call it home sometimes. But I don't claim to be British; I've never identified myself as British through and through. A British passport holder: yes; but not an English woman. However, my eight years in the UK were fundamental "growing" years--it is after all, the country in which I became my own woman.

My nostalgia for the city of London grows ever more intense and overshadows any scrap of doubt over which city in the world I know best. And I'm not necessarily talking about the streets, museums and the brick and mortar of the city landscape; but it's character. If cities could be people, London would be my closest friend.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails