Thursday, June 30, 2011

Unfolding Struggle

From this....
To this....

and finally, this...

The beauty in all this is that there is no logic from which I could explain the evolution of this particular piece--though I do think time had a lot to do with it. I started it about two months ago and then left it sitting while I went through various stages of experimentation. The fact that I am currently looking at ornamental motifs in other artists' work can explain my use of decorative mark-making. A lot of it was also trying to cover up mistakes, or in other words, "to navigate between contradicting choices". But this is exactly how I work: I will not stop deviating from whatever skeleton of a plan I may have had to begin with, until I feel that there's something there worth preserving--some evidence of a struggle, may it be a small or significant one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails