Sunday, February 6, 2011

Lesbian Vibes

Is it the hair?
The fact that I don't wear makeup or dress up much?
The way I move or take up space?
My broad shoulders?
The way I speak? The ideas I sell? The thoughts I choose to share?
I met a very interesting woman last night who claimed I had a lesbian vibe.
I reassured her, "it happens to me a lot".
But I don't exactly know why.

I'm not even sure whether these vibes come off physically or in some less tangible way.
I would think that the "vibes" we speak of have much to do with communication and the nature of our interactions. The way we perform and display carefully crafted visual signposts to each other. Beyond this visual language--which incorporates the way we look at ourselves and each other (our gaze), our facial expressions and body language--there is also the way we speak to each other. Even the way we laugh can say a lot about how we choose to present ourselves in a social setting.

There's no way we're conscious of this dynamic all the bloody time (that would be too tiring), so maybe our behavior is also a direct knee-jerk response to the situation we find ourselves in. Maybe I was giving off lesbian vibes last night because of the environment, and who I was hanging out with? After all, I was in a room were the majority of women were gay. If I were in a room filled with straight men, would I still be sending the same vibes? Also, interestingly enough, every woman who has felt this vibe from me (and has made a point to let me know) also happens to be gay. Perhaps this is the vital link?

2 comments:

  1. i'm sure that "very interesting" woman's gaydar was broken that night. was she drunk???
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. yep, i was gonna write that "perhaps the vital link was booze?"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails