Thursday, September 16, 2010

Fish Head Soup

I had an impulse to draw a fish head today, and now I must find a home for it in the chaos of multiple half-finished work scattered all over my studio floor and walls. Because the pieces I am currently working on are from studies I collected while living on a farm in Hawaii, I've been creating images that pertain to island life. Naturally, the image of fish found its place in my head. The fish is a very powerful symbol and I plan to use it in this series. It also reminds me of home where fish heads are plentiful in our local dishes. Filipinos love to suck the juice out from the brain cavity of a fish head after it has soaked a fair amount in soup. When I was younger I refused to go near them because I thought the act of sucking on a fish head was too intimate. It looked like you were making out with it. Now, I find this act to be very satisfactory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails