Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Stranger to Myself

I am trying very hard to build up a repertoire of works on paper to show this April for the upcoming Open Studios events that will take place here in San Francisco. I'm taking a very different direction and have been challenging myself in almost every possible way I can think of. I'm experimenting with different mediums such as water color, india inks, pens and pencils.

I've grown accustomed to acrylic paints, oils, spray paint, charcoal and pastels to create my large scale (48" x 36") abstract paintings. Now I am working at a smaller scale (11" x 14") and on paper; mostly vellum, drawing and water color. I have three new gigantic stretched canvasses hanging listlessly and empty on my walls, and I am resisting the temptation to fill them up with what I know I do best. But this has become my comfort zone, and I know that it will not satisfy me in the long run.
I am reserving them for what's to come of all this later. They will have to hang in anticipation of a new discovery.

For now,
my sketch books have been my comfort as I struggle with studies like the one I've posted here. It's exciting because it's new and fresh, but bewildering too. I am a stranger to myself right now.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The work of Paul Klee is almost always quite small... some say it's because he was a stay at home Dad who worked at his kitchen table... despite the size, his drawings and paintings are powerful... does size matter?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, size does matter. So does everything else like your medium, canvas, palette, subject matter, environment....these all have an affect on the work to varying degrees, and which is what keeps things interesting and dynamic. In terms of producing powerful work though, size doesn't matter.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails