Saturday, January 2, 2010

Two Steps Forward and Maybe One Step Back


The New Year is about shedding old skin. Taking that mask off and confronting your demons. Turning over a new leaf. Giving it another go. Another chance. It is hope; it is change. But this doesn't come cheap.

This "new beginning" is always cloaked in some mystery though. Because the "how" is never as easy as the "why". I can think of plenty of reasons why things need changing; and what needs changing. But how to do it is another thing, and getting carried away by the symbolism of all that is new, and can be hoped for, can be very distracting from the actual doing, to make it all real in the end.

I like to keep it simple. I like to dream big but do small. I'd rather not have a quantitative metric for the changes I'd like to take place in the new year. No tally sheet; no checklist; no specific measurement for success; and no expectations.

There is something stirring within me though. And this is a good sign. As long as I am in motion and my trajectory is forward and not backward then I'm happy. Even if I do end up taking "two-steps-forward-one-step-back", I'm still moving forward in the long run. As long as my engine is running then I'm good. It's really where I get my fuel that would concern me the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails