Monday, August 9, 2010

Coastal Ride Through the Highs and the Low Tides

The ride by Big Sur on Highway 1

I've been biking nonstop since last Tuesday. It's been 6 days on the road. Averaging 40 miles a day of hillage and thigh pillage. Yesterday, I did 70 miles. From fog, through smog, up hills and down the rugged Pacific coastline. Campsites by the ocean with secret trails past bubbling brooks and into beaches of gray stone and giant rocks that look like submerged dinosaur parts. I am convinced, as Hawaiians are, that where fresh water meets salt water therein lies magical healing powers. This is where I've soaked my sore legs in the cool (actually, freezing) water by the ocean.

I am about 100 miles from my final destination: L.A. I am so proud of my right leg for making it through so far unscathed. Can't say the same for my left leg, which is now wrapped in a knee brace for extra support. I can't believe I managed my first full day of cycling (45 miles) oblivious to the existence of a lower gear on the bike I've borrowed for this trip. I felt like an idiot when I realized the next day that I didn't have to go through that much suffering if only I knew of the "secret lower gear". Day 2 was definitely a day of discovery. I also discovered that my bicycle seat was not in its optimal position. The burning crotch sensation was definitely mitigated by Day 3 due to proper seat positioning. Note to self: learn your bike before jetting off.

I'm amazed with what my body has been capable of. But even more amazed by the determination of fellow bikers who I've met along the way. "Santa Cruz to L.A." does not compare to "Vancouver to Mexico", or even "Florida to San Francisco". These are only some of the impressive routes other bikers have taken or are currently taking. Good people, good stock. I've been sore for the last 6 days, but buzzing with a high that's been my jet fuel propelling me to new places and new faces.

2 comments:

  1. "secret lower gear" rofl. Nice one tosh! Looks like too much adventure for me. Just joking I am mega jealous, god bless and keep peddling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know, pretty hilarious. i finally felt welcomed into the exclusive club of cyclists after that faithful discovery!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails